Sevilla president Pepe Castro has confirmed that the club are working on a deal to bring Monchi back to Andalusia.
The 50-year-old left Roma by mutual consent last week following the sacking of Eusebio Di Francesco.
The Italians were forced into action following the club’s frustrating elimination from the Champions League in the Round of 16 against Porto.
Monchi has been drawn up as one of the standout candidates to replace Sven Mislintat as head of recruitment at Arsenal but those plans are now in jeopardy.
Sevilla’s agonising last-gasp Europa League exit at Slavia Prague on Thursday saw them part company with manager Pablo Machin.
It was only November that his side were sat top of La Liga, but a barren run of just two wins in ten matches now leaves them sixth and set to endure another trophyless campaign.
Director of football Joaquin Caparros will take charge of first-team affairs for Sunday’s trip to Espanyol.
Sevilla now need someone to fill his vacated role and Castro confirmed on Friday that the club are in negotiations with Monchi over a return.
“From today, Caparros is no longer a sporting director,” he said.
“Our option for the role is to take the best and the best is Monchi. We have already dealt with him and we have great feelings.
“We need a sports director for you to replace Caparros and soon we will have news from Monchi.
“The conversations with Monchi have been very positive. The conversations with Monchi have been good, we see him very receptive and we are waiting to finish the negotiation.
“We talked for many days with him and he likes the Sevilla project.”
Monchi was originally appointed director of football at his former club in 2000.
Under his recruitment strategy Sevilla established themselves as a top-half outfit in La Liga, winning 11 trophies along the way.
In the early days he helped unearth the likes of Sergio Ramos, Jose Antonio Reyes and Jesus Navas before creating a host of scouting networks around the world.
The result was a number of high profitable bargains which included Dani Alves, Ivan Rakitic and Federico Fazio.
In more recent times before his departure in 2017, Sevilla picked up the likes of Wissam Ben Yedder, Franco Vazquez and Clement Lenglet for cut-price fees.
The defender was sold to Barcelona for £32million last summer, 18 months after Monchi prized him away from French side Nancy for just £4.8m.
Photos: ‘Injured’ Man Utd skipper Antonio Valencia in Ecuador training
Arsenal news LIVE: Gunners transfer hinges on Brexit, Unai Emery targets THREE signings
Arsenal news LIVE updates: All the latest news and gossip from the Emirates
Wednesday, March 29
- Arsenal hopes of signing Brazilian teenager Gabriel Martinelli hinges on Brexit
- Arsenal are monitoring three players ahead of the transfer window
- Cristian Pavon, Cengiz Under and Ismaila Sarr on the shortlist
- Lee Dixon discusses Unai Emery’s training sessions
Brexit to determine Arsenal transfer…
Arsenal’s hopes of signing Brazilian teenager Gabriel Martinelli hinges on Brexit, reports claim.
The Gunners are front-runners in the battle to sign Martinelli, who previously had trials with Manchester United and Barcelona.
But according to The Sun, Martinelli, 17, would struggle to qualify for a work permit.
The teenager reportedly plans to apply for a European passport because of his Italian heritage.
However, the report says that if the UK leaves the EU on March 29 – ‘British clubs would no longer be exempt from Fifa rules banning the transfer of players under 18 years old.’
Gunners eye trio
Arsenal are monitoring three players ahead of the transfer window but there’s a twist in the Denis Suarez saga, according to reports.
It was reported earlier this week that the north London giants had decided NOT to turn Suarez’s loan into a permanent deal.
However, Football London report that Arsenal are yet to make a final decision on the 25-year-old’s future.
Football London do say, though, that Arsenal are monitoring three forwards ahead of the summer transfer window.
Cristian Pavon, Cengiz Under and Ismaila Sarr are said to be on Unai Emery’s transfer shortlist.
Man City close to Saul Niguez
Manchester City are close to completing the signing of Atletico madrid midfielder Saul Niguez.
Pep Guardiola views Niguez, 24, as a long-term replacement for Fernandinho and an alternative to Barcelona-bound Frenkie de Jong.
And ESPN FC claim City are closing in on a summer transfer.
The report adds that Atletico are looking to raise funds this summer and value Niguez at £120million – but would accept closer to £80m.
Lee Dixon ITK
Lee Dixon has revealed what a club insider has told him about Unai Emery’s training sessions.
The Arsenal legend says training sessions have risen drastically in terms of intensity since Unai Emery replaced Wenger last summer.
“The training intensity and the accountability in training with what is expected of them has gone up,” Dixon told Premier League Productions.
“I know that for a fact because I’ve still got a few people knocking around the training ground that I can ask how things are going.
“The little insider has kind of said training has completely changed in that respect, which I think’s a good thing.”
England Premier League News5 days ago
Champions League draw LIVE: Man Utd, Liverpool, Tottenham and Barcelona learn fate
Arsenal news3 days ago
Arsene Wenger makes Arsenal tactics revelation as Napoli clash looms
England Premier League News3 days ago
Arsenal fan Darren Bent admits it was ‘easy’ to reject West Ham and sign for Tottenham
Arsenal news5 days ago
Europa League quarter final draw: Arsenal handed nightmare draw
Arsenal news5 days ago
Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs or Chelsea could fall victim of UEFA rule next season
Arsenal news4 days ago
Video: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang’s Black Panther celebration vs Rennes
Arsenal news5 days ago
Raul Sanllehi Potentially Reveals The Five High-Profile Arsenal Stars With Doubtful Futures After Summer
England Premier League News4 days ago
10-man Leicester stun struggling Burnley